Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pasyans (patience)

The Toussaint Louverture airport experienced damage in the 2010 earthquake and repair work was still being done.  Even though we did need patience, I’m thankful we had the opportunity to be there.  This sign says “Have patience, airport not far to open”.  See update at the end of this post!


If you’ve stuck with me so far reading my story, you’ve had ‘pasyans', too.  Thanks!
The ‘pasyans’ I’m talking about in this post though, is about arriving at the airport in Port-au-Prince!  Picture a filled-to-capacity Boeing 767 arriving - and all its passengers being transferred to a relatively small terminal by small buses.  (We were greeted by a wonderful Haitian band at the entrance!) 



Suitcases started coming on the carousel, but it was so crowded, I couldn’t get close enough to grab mine when I saw it.  Thinking it would come around again, I waited awhile, in the jostling crowd.  Members of our group were grabbing bags with Compassion tags on them and taking them to the area we were (trying to!) gather.  I took a few there myself and kept looking for mine.  At least I knew it was around somewhere because I had seen it go by!  There were many porters with red shirts on.  One came over to me and wanted to see my baggage claim ticket.  I showed it to him... and he took off with it!  I knew I wouldn’t even be able to recognize him among all the other red-shirted men, so I was really hoping he would be able to find me again!  Only a few minutes later, he reappeared with my suitcase, thankfully!  The porters had been taking them off the carousel at the far end of the room and piling them there til they were claimed.  Another couple in our group didn’t think they had all of theirs for awhile, but they finally turned up - in the big bunch of Compassion tagged ones I believe. 


With all our luggage accounted for, we were ready to exit the baggage claim area.  Becca had all our info and so we didn’t have to go thru customs or immigration by ourselves, we just “followed-the-leader”.  It turned out it was a good time to make our exit, as some Haitian people started arguing in very loud voices.  I don’t have any idea what was going on, and I’m pretty sure it was lack of “pasyans” and nothing serious.  Most of us were on our way out the doorway just as it got started.  Once I was outside, I got my camera out.  In the next photo, you can see some of the red-shirted porters, with  all their attention on whatever was going on inside the building!




The parking lot was jammed as we wound our way thru cars, vans, and small buses -- all 25 of us-- pulling our suitcases over the rough pavement and lugging our carry-ons!  At the bus, the porters helped load suitcases on top of the bus and in another Compassion van. 

Porters loading suitcases on top of our bus

I was excited to finally be in Haiti!

Update about the airport: According to an online news article, Haitian President Martelly officially unveiled renovations at the Toussaint Louverture International Airport in Port-au-Prince on November 25, 2012 (about two weeks after I was there).  Photos in the article show a much nicer looking baggage claim area! 

No comments:

Post a Comment