Friday, January 11, 2013

The Beginning of an Adventure


It all started with a very well-timed email from Compassion International.  If you are a Compassion sponsor, you probably know the email I’m talking about.  The subject line starts with your sponsored child’s name and says she or he “would love to meet you”.  I’d gotten these emails before, since my husband and I have been sponsoring thru Compassion for about 9 years.  This time, it came ON our Haitian child’s birthday in early March. 

There it was in bold type:  “Kimberlie would love to meet you”. 





When I opened the email, my husband was sitting nearby.  I said, “I’d love to meet HER, too”.  He said “Then you should go”.  Well!  We talked about it a little, and I said I’d pray about it.  Going to Haiti was something I really had not thought much about before.

We had only sponsored Kimberlie for about a year at that time.  When I had thought of going anywhere to visit a sponsored child at all, it was usually to Rwanda, where we had been sponsoring a girl for much longer.    We’d only had 3 letters from Kimberlie - there had not been much time to develop a relationship yet.  But the Lord had now really put in my heart the desire to go, and - as the Compassion email went on to say - “Come See My World”.   



Maybe it was a great time to go... to get to know her better now - in person!

My husband encouraged me, and I prayed about it.  I thought the Lord was pointing me in that direction.  


So, a few days later, I took the next step and clicked on the “Registration” button in the email.  The page it took me to said something like “This trip is now closed”!  I felt such disappointment!  Could it already be full?  The email had said “don’t delay, these trips fill up quickly”.  

The dismay I felt made me realize how badly I wanted to go!  I decided to try a different way to register, by logging into my Compassion account first.  Success!  I was able to register and begin the process of going to Haiti!

5 comments:

  1. I came over from OurCompassion and look forward to reading about your trip! I'm a very new sponsor but hope to go on a trip someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,
    I am so glad that you went to Haiti in Novemeber. We had an awesome group of people on our trip. I look forward to reading about the trip thru your eyes. Everyone had different emotions and experiences. It was truely an amazing trip. Haiti and those kids have a special place in my heart and I will travel there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason! I agree with you that we had an awesome group! I would love to go back again someday, too.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to read more. I came over from OC too, and I write to two girls in Haiti :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful and inspiring! Thanks for letting us read this exceptional story! May God Bless you! Raquel

    ReplyDelete