Saturday, March 30, 2013

Happiness shows in the Art!

Other than once-in-a-lifetime-type visits, letters are the line of communication between sponsors and our kids.  Letters are the good old-fashioned way -- no Facebook messaging, emails, or texts between us and them (although you can write your child using Compassion's online letter-writing tool - they will still get a paper printout of it).  Each paper letter is precious; and eagerly awaited.  No letter was more anticipated by me than the one I hoped to receive from Kimberlie after my visit to her.  I was anxious to see if she would mention meeting me and what she would say about that.

Finally, on March 21st, I opened my mailbox to see a Compassion envelope with this happy note on the outside, "Message from your Sponsored Child".  I had recently received letters from our other sponsored kids, so I thought it was probably from Kimberlie... but I quickly ripped into it to see.  It was!

This letter was written for Kimberlie by her 16 year-old brother.  Each of her letters have been written for her by different people.  The first one just said "written by family" then there were 3 written by different Compassion staff members.  In this one (the 5th one I've gotten from her) I was happy to see that her brother had taken time to help her write to me. 

It was written near the beginning of January, so Kimberlie started off the letter, "She was really glad to spend Christmas."  Then she said, "She felt like seeing you a lot."  Translations of letters can sometimes be a little awkward sounding.  I don't know if she meant she wished she could see me again at Christmas?  Then she went on to say,  "How did you spend Christmas?  She thinks that she would stay with you.  She didn't feel like coming back."  That sounds like she just wanted to stay with me while I was there.  So sweet.  I wished I could have stayed longer, too!

Then she thanked me for the gifts I brought her, "particularly the doll, clothes, and photos".  My, but she does love photos!  (Makes sense, I love the photos I have of her, too!)  She tells a little more about Christmas... "Her mother always tells her that Santa Claus will come in December."  Then she answers several questions I had asked her in my previous letters.  So it was really a wonderful letter.

One of the things I love about her letters are her drawings.  I'm no child psychologist but it's pretty easy to see a change from the one in her first letter:
 To her next one:
Looks a lot happier, doesn't it?

Here's the most recent drawing - done after my visit.  In this one she used the colored pencils I gave her instead of crayons.
I love the two hearts which say "alo" and "elo"!  I think the object in the lower right might be the box of watercolor paints I gave her.  I'm not sure what a few of the other things are -- any guesses?  Here's a close-up:
 Also, a reminder about Katerin from Guatemala, who is on my Change the Story page.  Just click on the link if you'd like to read more about her or become her sponsor.  Then you, too, could start to receive some loving letters and beautiful artwork!
Katerin


No comments:

Post a Comment