Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The End but Not the End

It seemed like we had just said "Alo" when it was time to say "Orevwa".  

Even though we only had about an hour and 45 minutes together, every bit of that time was priceless.  

Then, it was time to have a few last words together, face to face.  In the next photo, I was telling her "I love you very much" in Creole.  "Mwen renmen ou anpil." Johnnie had to help me with my pronunciation at bit!
I think Kimberlie was tired, even though she'd had a nap on the long ride to see me.

It was time to pack up her new things.
And take one last photo with the project center staff lady who had traveled with her.
We couldn't drag out our good-byes because it was already 10 pm - the time when they had to leave the hotel grounds.  So with a quick hug, they were off.  I couldn't help but follow a little ways out to the parking lot so I could watch her go.

My heart was full with happiness from finally getting to be with Kimberlie, and sadness from some of the things I had learned about her life.  She has had some personal difficulties that I did not know about before meeting her.  I'm so glad I am able to be her sponsor -- to love her and to encourage her.  I titled this post, "the end but not the end" because even though the story of my trip to Haiti is soon coming to a close,  my sponsorship of Kimberlie is not.  I will continue to write to her each month... and I have recently received a letter from her that I will share excerpts of in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment